Winter has arrived, and so has the need to retain as much heat in our homes as possible. Energy efficient windows have a huge impact on how warm you stay during colder months, as well as more savings on your utility bills. Here’s everything you need to know about energy efficient windows; how you can tell them apart from other window designs or imitators and why you should get them installed in your home.
Not all windows are created equal
You might assume that all windows perform the same way–but it’s untrue. Each type of window functions using a different method and efficiency. Standard windows will keep natural elements out of your home, but they’re satisfactory at preventing factors escape through the home.
Energy efficient windows have a few important features that make them superior:
- They have special coatings on them, known as low emissivity coatings or “low-e glass”
- They have insulated frames and sashes which means your windows will have reduced condensation, and they will be more comfortable to sit next to.
- They contain special inert gases between the panes, which is better quality insulation rather than just air like most standard windows.
- There are models that have triple glazing for superior noise reduction and offers more energy savings.
- The windows are labelled to indicate which of the three Canadian climate zones the windows are intended for.
Why is the label so important?
If you see the ENERGY STAR® label on a window, it means that the highest energy efficiency levels have been reached.
The ENERGY STAR® name and symbol have been administered and promoted in Canada by Natural Resources Canada, and have been registered in Canada by the EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency).
The label can be found on windows, skylights and doors in Canada, and it offers a few key pieces of information. The ENERGY STAR® symbol means that:
- The model is highly energy efficient
- The model is certified for the areas in Canada indicated on the climate zones map
- Certified energy performance values are reached and verified by a certification body
Buying products with the ENERGY STAR® label means you’re getting the most energy-efficient products on the market.
The ENERGY STAR promise
When you purchase ENERGY STAR® products the manufacturers are guaranteeing better performance. According to Natural Resources Canada, “All ENERGY STAR® certified products are tested to meet strict efficiency specifications and are certified by an independent third party. They perform the same as or better than standard products without compromising performance in any way.” In fact, windows with the ENERGY STAR® Most Efficient designation are up to 40% more efficient than a standard window.
Other helpful tips about window replacement:
- Make sure you get the proper windows for your climate zone
- Hire a professional to install your windows, doors or skylights
- Install windows with higher insulation values to reduce heat on the eastern and northern sides of your home
- Check occasionally for drafts or air leaks around your windows to make sure they are in good working order.
Keep winter out of your home this season, while keeping warmth in. Contact Custom Window Designs for a FREE quote or call 1-866-690-7990 and get started on your energy efficient window installation today!
Call 1-866-690-7990 for a FREE quote!